Tuesday, October 23, 2007

A swarm of candidate mail…

…reminds me that mail ballots are out. Bah. I'm a voting place voter. For those who have their ballots, though, here's what guidance I have to offer on the questions and candidates I'll be voting on.

Sometimes it's hard to ignore the pleading of friends and stick to my practice of voting no on each and every state ballot initiative, no matter how well intentioned or, for that matter, well crafted. Whatever populist advance the initiative process may have once offered, it has become corrupted beyond apparent redemption.

Happily, the only true initiative on the ballot, I-960, is not favored by any friends of mine whatsoever. It's the one my pals at NPI call the "Paralyzing Government" initiative. They're right. I'll be voting 'no' because there isn't a box for 'you've got to be kidding.'

I-960 may be the only initiative proper, but there are ballot measures aplenty. Next up in the voter's pamphlet is a referendum from the legislature, R-67, which would require insurance companies to pay legitimate claims under the terms and conditions of the policies they issue. It sounds so banal that it's hard to believe it isn't already the law. It isn't. Insurance companies can deny claims at their leisure with impunity under the law.

The kind of fight the insurance industry is waging against R-67 is proof positive that it's a good deal for the rest of us.

Yes on R-67.

Senate Joint Resolution 8206 would amend the state constitution to provide for a 'rainy day' fund. Sounds reasonable. Yes.

SJR 8212 would allow private businesses to contract with prison labor in the state of Washington. Nope.

The state House in in on the act, too, with House Joint Resolution 4204 which would end the super-majority requirement for public school levies. Yes, absolutely.

HJR 4215 affects the way certain higher education funds can be invested. It was non-controversial in the legislature, and will get a yes vote from me.

County measures include Initiative 25, which would create a director of elections, elected on a non-partisan basis. Non-partisan, you say? Never use the stuff. No.

King County Proposition 1 extends a levy that finances Medic 1 emergency medical services. Yes, of course.

Sound Transit/RTID Prop. 1, the roads and transit measure, is both hugely ambitious and expensive. If it passes, and if everything proposed gets built, I still don't think it will solve any of our congestion problems. On the other hand, I'm generally well disposed toward public works in general, and infrastructure investment in particular. It's a puzzle. What do my friends thing? Well, some of my friends are for it, and some of my friends are against it. For now, I'm with my friends.

There are two county campaigns on the Democratic line, Bill Sherman for Prosecuting Attorney and Scott Noble, the incumbent County Assessor. Both are well qualified and fine representatives of our Party. Once again, it's my pleasure to support the straight ticket.

The Port Commission is officially 'nonpartisan,' but discerning Democrats should recognize a certain kinship with Gael Tarleton and Alec Fisken, who will receive my votes.

Knee-jerk anti-imcumbentism isn't usually my cup of tea, but the Shoreline city council is so dysfunctional these days that throwing the bums out seems like the only way through. I'll be voting for new faces - McConnell, Eggen and Scott.

I'm still studying up on a couple of school board races, but I'm pretty much settled on Maren Norton in District 4 and looking hard at other new faces here, as well.

None of this till election day, though, when I'll proudly stand in line to vote in person.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home