Thursday, August 02, 2007

Tommy, we hardly knew ye.

It's hard to describe how central The Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem were to the cultural identity of a second generation Irish-American kid growing up in the 50s and 60s. I bought the records, learned the songs, coveted the sweaters and copied the brogue (it still slips out during my annual St. Patrick's Day set at the perfect tavern - mostly Clancy Bros. material now that I think of it).

It's trite but true to say that his music will live forever. More than that, there's that sense of cultural pride and connection that he and his comrades helped to inspire and sustain for me and I'd guess to millions like me. Grandpa wasn't around to sing the songs, and Dad didn't know the words, but Tommy and the Clancys were like jovial Irish uncles, always on hand to remind you about where you came from and why it mattered. They earned the affection of millions of 'nephews' and 'neices'.





Tommy Makem
"The Bard of Armagh"
1932 - 2007

I've a fine felt hat
And a strong pair of brogues
I have rosin in me pocket for me bow
My fiddle strings are new
And I've learned a tune or two
Now I'm well prepared to ramble and must go.

Ramble on, Tommy.


Hat tip to Thers.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home