Sunday, March 11, 2007

Me too.

John Laird in The Columbian
Winning presidential pledge — I would dearly love to hear just one candidate say:

"I will never go on vacation during a war. The president is the U.S. soldiers' commander in chief, and as long as our soldiers fight and die, get back-door drafted into tours they never expected and get redeployed into unwinnable conflicts, I just wouldn't feel right riding my bike or clearing brush on my ranch. No, I'll stay in the war with my troops."

"Inaugurations, I suppose, are necessary, but inaugural balls are silly. I will never attend one, let alone several in one night. Party all you want, but on your own. This will be my first night on the job, and I'll have other stuff to do."

"If I don't like a bill, I won't sign it. I will veto it. I will never sign a bill and then issue a ‘signing statement' allowing me to ignore what I just signed. Never."

"I will accept no gifts. None. Ever. If you give me one, you'll just get it back.

"Don't expect me to pardon anyone. A pardon might help you, but it hurts my legacy, and when it comes to my legacy, I tend to be a little self-centered."
Hat tip to Pamela Leavey at The Democratic Daily.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home