Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Sounds like a Democrat without apology to me.

How's your boy?" Bush asked, referring to Webb's son, a Marine serving in Iraq.

"I'd like to get them out of Iraq, Mr. President," Webb responded, echoing a campaign theme.

"That's not what I asked you," Bush said. "How's your boy?"

"That's between me and my boy, Mr. President," Webb said coldly, ending the conversation on the State Floor of the East Wing of the White House.
Pretty diplomatic exchange, actually. I'd hate to imagine what my Mom, lady though she may be, might have said to old Dick Nixon while I was in the Jolly Green Jungle.

Still, the WaPo's Michael D. Shear had to gin up some kind of spin, and of course it had to be bad for the Democrats. Jim Webb's disinclination to engage in idle chatter with the man who has sent his son into an arena of senseless combat means he'll be a problem for the Democratic caucus.

Right. And we know this because an anonymous "senior Democratic staff member" thinks Webb will be "a total pain."

Oh my.

Of course, Webb offers reassurance...
"There are going to be times when I've got some strong ideas, but I'm not looking to simply be a renegade," he said. "I think people in the Democratic Party leadership have already begun to understand that I know how to work inside a structure."
…and Chuck Shumer sounds downright sanguine...
"I am truly not worried about it. He understands the need to be part of a team."
Hey, if Chuck Shumer's sanguine, brother, I'm sanguine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home