Saturday, May 20, 2006

I've got to work tomorrow…

…and it's not my sabbath anyway, but if you've up early and have the inclination, Goldy's got a plan...
According to the Washington State Department of Revenue, our state’s churches receive about $44 million in property tax exemptions annually – that’s tax burden that is shifted to ordinary citizens like you and me. But one of the prerequisites for maintaining this not-for-profit status is that these churches must refrain from actively engaging in political campaigns.

If tomorrow, on “Referendum Sunday,” these churches distribute petitions and/or canvass for signatures, or parishioners are instructed to do so, I would say that this would constitute a very real violation of the prohibition on electioneering, and would thus provide clear grounds for suing to have their tax exempt status revoked.

So I strongly urge all my readers to show a little faith, and go to church tomorrow (focus on those evangelical mega-churches if you can,) and bring along a video camera or other recording device, just in case. And God forbid you find any prohibited political campaigning on church property, drop me an email.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home