Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Loathe as I am…

…to take public issue with an official organ of my Party, I think Jesse Berney sent a message that's just flat wrong at the DNC Blog. where he posted…
This is the chance for President Bush to turn his second term around and rescue himself from a legacy as the most divisive president in our history.
No it's not. George W. Bush picked up the title 'most divisive president in our history' the hard way. He earned it. Some kind of 'compromise' on his fist Supreme Court nomination won't change that, especially in an environment where Sandra Day O'Connor, a classic Arizona Republican in the Barry Goldwater mode, is painted as a champion of liberal governance while Alberto Gonzales is lauded as the last best hope for Roe v. Wade, the 'moderate' choice we should be happy to settle for.

Nonsense. I'm a Democrat. I don't want another Sandy O'Connor, I want a William O. Douglas, dammit.

I know, I know. I can't have what I want. Yet.

That doesn't mean that I have to pretend that any candidate deemed acceptable by the standards of George W. Bush - any candidate - is anything less than awful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home