Sunday, February 22, 2004

The truth? No hope.

I've been poking around the web, reading various post-mortems and analyses of the Dean 'legacy,' looking for the appropriate hook for my own diagnosis of the Doctor's demise. I haven't really got my thoughts fully formed on the matter, but I've stumbled on some interesting stuff along the way.

For instance, you may remember Eugene Hedlund, the self-described "...lifelong Republican and a fervent supporter of George W. Bush in 2000," who formed the explicitly pro-Dean 527 organization truthandhope.org. Tapping the resources of Deaner's who had reached their $2000 personal contributions to the campaign proper (and just how many of those there were in the ranks of the '$100 Revolutionaries' is one of the questions remaining unanswered), Hedlund produced and ran a series of spots against John Kerry in several markets.

Well, the site appears to be gone, but Mr. Hedlund didn't disappear without leaving a note for the gang over at blogforamerica. A couple points that I found of interest...

"First, let me make very clear that we will not give, raise nor spend ANY of our money to support Senators Kerry or Edwards."

This in response to Gov. Dean's earnest plea to his followers to join him in supporting the Democratic nominee. Of course, with the need to slam Democrats in support of the Dean campaing over, how will Mr. Hedlund spend any remaining Deaner cash in his coffers?

"My personal intention is that on March 2, I will vote for Howard Dean in the California Primary as my choice for President. After that, I will change my party affiliation, until such time as the Democratic Party supports a platform which I believe in."

Presumably one similar to the one that made Mr. Hedlund a "...lifelong Republican and a fervent supporter of George W. Bush in 2000" in the first place.

One thing that may not be part of my own Dean wrap up is fervent appreciation for his success in 'activating the Democratic base', I'm afraid.

Update: Well, Mr. Hedlund's site is back up, still pumping out hate progaganda against Kerry and drumming up dollars for hit pieces...and still proclaiming his intention to switch parties after casting what is now clearly a interloping vote in the California Democratic primary.

And the truth is still that there's no hope for Mr. Hedlund's futile efforts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home