Tuesday, January 20, 2004

In the midst of my elation...

...I have to admit a certain amount of melancholy in regard to the fate of Dick Gephardt. Anything less than a win was regarded by everyone, including the Congressman, as fatal to his campaign, but a distant fourth was an outcome that had to shock as well as sting.

Dick Gephardt wasn't my candidate in this race, and he wasn't my candidate in 1988. I don't think he ever was or ever could be a suitable nominee for President, because I think his views are too parochial on some major issues. I was on his side in the NAFTA fight, but in losing that one, his anti-trade position hardened to a degree that's just too far from the mainstream. His resolute support of organized labor is one of his more admirable qualities, but it's far too true, and far too sad, that support for the House of Labor is no guarantor of support from the House of Labor. A winning coalition has always been beyond his reach.

Still, Dick Gephardt is a Democrat's Democrat. He's served our Party faithfully in good times and bad, and his general character and fidelity to our principles have always been above reproach.

I appreciate his decision to withdraw without delay. The field needs some definition. But I am somewhat saddened by the circumstances of that withdrawal, because he has truly been one of our finest, a faithful warrior in many battles, and deserves the respect of everyone who claims the mantle of 'Democrat.'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home